Thursday, September 12, 2013

Read & Reflect #2



My overall impression of the articles for this week is overwhelming inadequacy on my part to be able to connect with this iGeneration.  I may have been born apart of the Net Generation but I feel a decade behind.  As a kid we never had the internet until I moved out.  I didn’t own my first computer until I was nineteen.  My first cell phone was at the age of twenty-one, and I was reluctant even then to get one at all.  I liked being unreachable to my job and others if need be.  In the last five years I have been playing catch-up to be on an even keel with my classmates and peers.  Even now having a smart phone, I don’t feel at all up-to-date with the iGeneration students I want to be teaching. 
I have always viewed art making as a tactile (kinesthetic) process. As an artist I want to be able to feel the materials as much as see or smell or even hear them.  The smell or oil paint, the sound of a sewing machine or the creak of reeds as you weave them together, the vibrancy of color that is revealed as you open a kiln after hours of waiting, the dryness of pastel or charcoal as the dust filters to the floor.   There are many technologies which can be used to create art but I will always prefer the smell of chemicals in a dark room over the tedious hours spent in front of a Photoshop window. 
Every artist and student is different and deservedly so.  In Deresiewicy’s Solitude essay he repeatedly states that students of now and tomorrow will be incapable of disconnecting from media and technology.   “They have lost the ability to be alone, their capacity for solitude.”  Throughout art school I tried to work on and finish pieces with friends around me.  I always ended up working by myself in an empty art building in the middle of the night.  Solitude is a necessity for the contemplation process of any and all of my artwork.  I like to work in the middle of the night because no one is likely to be awake and need my attention.  I can be alone with my thoughts.  Music is likely to be my only companion I take, if any at all.  This concept seems to be at odds with the last two generational trends however.  I must always remember that the way things work for me is not likely to work for others. 

This last semester doing my student teaching I thought I would allow students to listen to music as they worked in an effort to create “MY” ideal working environment.  What I soon discovered was that my classical or instrumental music did nothing for the students but make them tired.  I decided to let them pick the genre of music and was amazed at how not relaxing an experience it was for me.  I could hardly concentrate on the lesson I was teaching but the students would be speeding away at their projects as though it was the greatest project ever.  If the current educational system is in fact static and passé the art room needs to be as forward thinking possible.  The room I had for 6th, 7th and 8th graders had ten student computers.  One of the first things the students asked of me was to be allowed to use said computers.  They went on to inform me that the computers were never touched.  As cell phone use was strictly forbidden in the classrooms I had no problem with the students getting on the computers to look up images for their projects, but that was about it.  My lesson plans were very hands on and only required the individual’s imagination.  Using Prezi instead of PowerPoint presentation went over well, I thought.  At least there were fewer distraction behaviors from the students.  But after reading and viewing all the technologies students associate as common place, my efforts seem feeble and grossly inadequate.    

No comments:

Post a Comment